Saturday, April 09, 2005

the raccoons

do you remember the show "the raccoons" from back in the day. i'm pretty sure it was a canadian cartoon - it had something to do with promoting environmentalism, if i remember correctly. i was a fan of the show mostly b/c one of the raccoons was called melissa .. it's always fun to have a character on tv to share a name with. (although, they do seem to like to use my last name on law & order, and it's not always a good thing. i don't like when the characters that share my name are the perpetrators of crime). but back to the raccoons. on that show they were so cute and helpful and funny! and sometimes bert was just downright goofy. why did the cartoons lie to me? WHY?

there are quite a few raccoons that seem to like to gallyvant around my neighbourhood. they have decided to take over the neighbourhood as their own, i fear. luckily these raccoons are not quite as big as some of them that i've seen occasionally lying on the shoulders of the country roads. still, they're nasty little critters.

yesterday, i was venturing out of my humble abode and saw one removing a garbage bag from a garbage can and then proceeding to tear through it. it's interesting to watch them actually do that. usually, i just see the evidence that that's what they've done, never have i caught one in the act. then on my way home yesterday evening, one opened my neighbours gate and was cavorting on their porch ... this wouldn't be so alarming except that they're porch is attached to mine!

this is just an introduction for my final story though. i was returning home the other night and i looked up ahead of me and there was a raccoon standing on the sidewalk. he was staring something down. i kinda stamped my foot - he puffed himself up. great, i thought - now i've angered the beast. so, i scampered over to the other side of the street. then, i saw the other one. he was in a tree, almost eye level with me. he was staring down critter number 1.

lessons learned? never get in the middle of a raccoon fight.

p.s. what's up with old navy commercials. do they realize how annoying their ad campaigns are? the latest one, bust a tun (as in tunic) ... dear me! it's just wrong! ever so wrong!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to watch the Raccoons. I liked Bert the best, torn between his master and his friends. His nose was WIKIT!

But yeah, it seams funny that they'd use raccoons to promote environmentalism, they're kinda philthy beasts.

Shoulda been the great beaver, living off the land, damning up rivers for it's own social gain.

There was no character on The Raccoons named Meltrude...

Anonymous said...

I remeber that show for sure. I remeber I used to love it. They even used to make holiday special, but ususally they wouldn't be directly about "Christmas" or "Thanks giving"... they would just have the flavour if that season/time. The christmas type one, they had this huge Hockey game, I rember the bad guy (his name is slipping me) owned the rink I think... there was all this pressure on then. Decent cartoon for that time, especially since it was Canadian.

As for the whole racoon thing... I never liked racoons (real ones)... they creep me out, you think they are not very aggressive, but one snapped at me up north once and every since I jst raise my hands and say "it's coo... it's coo brutha coon..." then step off.

Old navy... old navy... your commercials are the suck. I see the retro style you are looking for, I see your "togetherness" feeling with the family dancing... and guess what? I raise you 1 can of shitty delivery for this years campaign. Its funny you can spot them within 1-2 seconds now too... as you are slowly flipping channel you sudden say "aggghhh!" and change the channel quickly as you were passing old navy.

Anonymous said...

BTW, those raccoons, in your garbage...

Me and Rob.

We were looking for old cosmo mags.

Anonymous said...

I was the one in the tree, I found the cosmos witht his years hottest turn ons. Ryan was upset that I would learn the secrets first... I didn't really want it for that. I just like the pictures... err... what?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I like the letters...

"Dear Penthouse,..."

That's cosmo, right?

melpie said...

first, the raccoons' bad guy was cyril sneer. and then he had his nephew who always wanted to be good ... cedric.

second, i put magazines in the recyling, not the garbage.

and third, i don't read cosmo. suckers.

Anonymous said...

Why are you so mean? :)

CEDRIC! Thats right... I wonder if there was every a finale where he moved over to the good guys forever. I remeber in that hockey one he was like wearing a mask playing for the good guys. I think that was him...

melpie said...

this was apparently quite the long running show!

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-7909/The_Raccoons/

cedric was always the weak-willed one. he never wanted to do the evil things his uncle cyril wanted him to do.

reading about the raccoons again sure brings back memories. i totally forgot about the pigs and broo. broo was so cute!

Anonymous said...

The ending song for The Raccoons was amazing, I still listen to the mp3 of it regularly.

I recall the show actually having several musical episodes where they'd contrive some excuse for the entire episode to be all songs.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved The Raccoons, especially the christmas one. I never see it on TV at christmas anymore. I wonder why it was so good and I still love watching the classic cartoons from our time. The 80's rocked!!!