Monday, March 28, 2005

fierce invalids home from hot climates

by tom robbins

so i finally finished the book. it took me a while.

after gettin over the rather show-offy nature of the prose (which apparently was infectious), i rather did enjoy the book. some of the situations were just bizarre. i rather like bizarre situations. the absurd. situations and events that you can just take a step back and look at and smile. b/c, you've gotta be able to smile at life.

and i guess that was the point of the book - you can't take life too seriously. one of the things that separate humans from the other mammals... that along with curiosity and sexuality and some other stuff.

the book was a rather amusing combination of crazy highjinx (is that redundant? is there any highjinx but the crazy kind? and while we're on the subject - can you have just one highjink? or one shenanigan, for that matter?) and a lot of talk about religion and the relationship with life beyond what we currently know.

so ... if you aren't easily offended - i say read it. it provides some ideas that are a little different than your usual ones (i might provide some quotes tomorrow .. if i get around to it). but in the end, i still think robbins is a show-off who uses his writing as a type of ... type-writer masturbation - rather narcissistic. but i guess, if i were him, i'd do the same. he can be quite clever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know... I don't read books, never have really. When I was younger I couldn't control my AHDD and sit reading for more than 5 mins. I hear about all these books now that sound so good. I should really just pick one and attempt a reading. Last thing I read was Fast Food Nation because a guy form work brought it in for me. That was a shocking piece! :)

Anonymous said...

I like wierd books. I'll probably check that one out.

I read a really bizarre one a few years ago, "The Dominion of Wily McFadden".

It's about a dude that catches as many rats as he can to unleash them in albertas farm fields. So he starts this cross canada trek and finds a naked girl on the roadside around thunder bay. Who, which he discovers, is a brainwashed prostitute.

Oh yeah, that's what I said.