Thursday, January 18, 2007

thai's my inspiration

so, this is something i've been meaning to write about for awhile ... but really, i figured, who would care. however, i just read an entry in a friend's blog and it reminded me once again about the subject - a subject that i adore - my books.

i'm a bit of a bibliophile - no where close to rory or anything, but i still do enjoy my books. they're like battle scars - i like to keep them as badges of my accomplishments and as reminders of where i've been and where i have yet to go (it helps when i'm trying to do things like stroke books off my "to read" list .... i'm done 22 ... only 78 to go!) ... and i do sometimes donate the books to charity that i find particularly embarassing (now no one has proof that i ever owned the da vinci code or one of the gilmore girls books) but i think that books are wonderful gifts that are meant to be shared. sometimes i wonder if this is a good idea ... they often go into the abyss and i never get my dear friends back. sometimes i look at my shelf for a book that i wanted to see again and it's gone and i can't remember where ... so here, so i don't forget ... i'm going to make a list of the missing. please friends, come home soon!

  • oryx & crake
  • the invisible man
  • family matters
  • a prayer for owen meany
  • in the skin of a lion
  • the way the crow flies
  • testament
  • the princess bride
  • the white bone
  • white teeth
  • the last days of summer
  • fried green tomatoes
  • kite runner
  • the fountainhead
  • the secret diary of grazia dei rossi
  • fierce invalids home from hot climates
so now the question is .... do i replace my friends, or simply wait for them to come home?

3 comments:

miko said...

this is so extremely strange, because i was literally wondering today why you bother to lend me things since i never return them.

i have:

>the fountainhead
>the princess bride (i'm pretty sure that's yours - i don't think i bought it but there is a small possibility it belongs to my brother. does it ring a bell that you lent it to me?)
>pilgrim by timothy findley (this isn't on your list but i have it anyway)

tee...hee? i'm wondering if you knew i was the book borrower (thief is such a strong word) and if your post is just a passive-aggressive way of asking for your belongings back.

=P

melpie said...

oooh, i forgot about pilgrim. i should add that to the list. and don't worry - there are many other perpetrators with my books (sister, priscilla, work ppl, etc) ... you're not alone. it's the ones that i can't remember who i lent them to that bother me the most ...

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you liked a Prayer for Owen Meany. I read it years and years ago on vacation one year. Amazing book.

...now I'm reading a book about a clown performing for clown fetishists. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

~Colonel Markus